Tuesday 6 March 2012

Tutorial two




Occupational Engagement: Doing, Being, Becoming and Belonging

My chosen occupation is art and craft which involves being creative and allows people to express their personalities. I choose this occupation because on my second fieldwork placement I was placed at a rest home and one of the activities they did with the residents to help occupy their time was art and craft sessions. On my placement I was involved in taking one of the art and craft sessions which required setting up the art area and helping the residents do the art and craft. They did different types of art and craft including painting, mosaics, colouring in and paper Mache

Doing: The concept of doing includes purposeful, goal orientated activities; doing has been the traditional preoccupation with occupational therapy (Hammell, 1998a).

Being:  Being is defined as a time to reflect, be introspective or meditative, discover the self, savour the moment, appreciate nature, art or music in a contemplative manner and enjoy being with special people (Hammell, 1998a).

Belonging: Duggan & Dijkers (1999) describes the necessary contribution of social interaction, mutual support and friendship, and the sense of being included, to occupational performance and life satisfaction.

Becoming:  (Hammell, 1998a) describes the idea that people can envision future selves and possible lives, explore new opportunities and harbour ideas about who or what they wish to become over course of their biographies and how their lives might be experienced as worthwhile.

Ethical consideration:
When I made my power point about art and craft I had to take ethical issues into consideration. I ensured that I had informed consent from the people I took photos of and that all my online sources were authentic.

References:
Hammel, K. W. (1998a). From the neck up: Quality in life following high spinal cord injury. Vancouver, BC: The University of British Columbia, Unpublished doctoral dissertation.

Duggan, C.H., & Dijkers, M. (1999). Quality of life- Peaks and Valleys: A qualitative analysis of the narratives of persons with spinal cord injuries. Canadian Journal of Rehabilitation, 12, 181-191

No comments:

Post a Comment